Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Apple + Google = new .Mac?

Hmmm......this is very interesting news, Google CEO Dr. Eric Schmidt Joins Apple’s Board of Directors. And somehow I got this feeling that Google and Apple had been flirting for some time - as you can see in my previous post.
What could this mean? I am totally speculative, but this may be the beginning of joint effort to create web services available for Mac users, a new .Mac.
There has been a lot of discussion around the future of .Mac in many blogs. Apple had been trying to get Mac users to pay premium for its web services - I was included - with its seamless integration with iLife. I was a .Mac user once and I saw the good value in paying the premium, happy with .Mac mail account, web calendar, and iDisk. But like most people, mail application is the most used facility. Then GMail was introduced, with huge storage capacity and - this is the best part - free. I started to question myself on whether I should stop my .Mac subsription. I decided to run in parallel and I found that I could live without .Mac, so last year I discontinued my .Mac account. Sometime I missed my .Mac account and Apple gave me some cute messages everytime I went to .Mac site. But I never click the renew button. I don't think I want to spend money on that service, although I like it. Google had been giving the service for free - (well, at cost of some privacy intrusion. But I am not a celebrity or a type of person that needs 'top-notch' privacy measurements, maybe I will be at some time, but not now).
I am Googled now. I post my photos from iPhoto to PicasaWeb, export my iCal to Google Calendar, and blog in Blogger. I don't have iLife 06, but what I can imagine is if Google and Apple synergize their product to be ultimate webservice for Mac users, iWeb should interface with Blogger and Google Pages, and my mac email account storage keep on growing in size. And all of these should be free.

No comments: