Saturday, August 05, 2006

Personal Technology Dilemma


I check Digg regularly. And yesterday I found Google launched the beta product of Picasa Web Album - with iPhoto uploader. More and more Google's services available in Mac, thanks to increasing popularity of the Apple system. I use mac and windows at home - windows at work - because I like the way mac "works", however some applications make more sense working in windows environment.
Mac has been great in managing my personal life. Email, web browsing - flicking from Safari to Firefox as some web apps not Safari compatible, and photo management. I also like the concept of .mac but finally I have to terminate my account as I don't see why I have to pay as the services I use available freely from Yahoo!, Google, - and MSN.
iChat is supposed to be my ultimate video call solution. Video conferencing with multiple users would be my answer to talk with my family and friends that happen to be scattered around Asia - if they have iChat (meaning they are mac users) and afford to buy iSight or new intel based Macs with built-in iSight. Sadly to say, Windows Live Messenger (then - MSN Messenger) running on windows is my answer now. And probably for some more time - it is a free service, people I want to contact mostly has an account - or can apply for free, and I can get cheap webcam for video call. I set up a machine with minimum specifications just enough to run Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Skype, and QQ (Chinese Messenger). It is still cheaper than fork out iSight (or new Macs) and upgrade iLife (if the new iChat can talk with other protocols - you never know), and converting my family and friends to Mac.
I also downloaded Picasa 2 for windows and I am amazed to its resemblance of ease of use of that of iPhoto's. It has the same look and feel, and it gives you option to send photo via your default email client or Gmail. Sweet! It lists down pictures (and videos) in nice layout - and not forcing the user to move to different folder. It keeps original photos after touch-ups. Direct blogger interface - for photo only, not video (I wish they can do video soon). Microsoft should thank Google as this is the answer to iPhoto, because I am hooked.
And this Google new service has made me sign-in to blogger, this blog is the outcome. And my amazemend continues. This is like a multi-orgasm of a man with mediocre technology savviness with limited free-time and budget. The setup is simple and the template available for use mostly has slick design. Just write your thoughts and publish. I have been using different free blogging services and I have not seen the design as slick as what blogger offers. Yes, I am Googled.
However, this does not solve my dilemma. Mac only solution at home (with iLife as its centre activity) has been less attractive with more slick products freely available from Google (and Yahoo - and maybe Live) plus issue in communication solution with non-Mac users. Windows only solution always not my answer as I don't like the way it interacts (I'm not talking about Vista - I have not seen it). I am a Mac fan in nature, but also a functionalist and realist. I am hoping the new Mac OS can give me answer, but I am not hoping too much as I realise we are the victims of business decisions. Hoping iChat user can do a video call (and conferencing) with MSN users is too far off.
So I guess I will be using my iMac G3, Mac Mini G4, Celeron PC, and IBM X41 (office laptop) for a while. Google's support for Mac should help make my life easier with organising my mail, calendar (iCal compatible), and now photos. I am giving a lot of hope with Google now and hope they can move towards neutrality in providing services for Mac and windows users (not putting Linux in the equation yet). I am hoping Google Talk with video that compatible with Mac and windows users. Did I ask too much?

This article is a show of my support to Google in getting its product compatible with Mac (especially older Macs).

No comments: