Sunday, August 06, 2006

Tribute for a Great Australian Car of the Decade - Commodore VE


As well as I like digital technology, I love cars. I still do not see the point of having one at the moment - Sydney is an expensive place to maintain a car. However, I am giving my salute to Holden for its nearly launched Commodore VE. It is a car brought and built from scratch to be GM's global RWD (Rear-Wheeled Drive) platform. And I should say it is a beautiful car. It's bigger and heavier then the previous version - its based model, Omega, has 16" wheels as standard due to bigger brakes.
The VE is also designed with possible application of hybrid engines and all-wheel-drive, if required in the future, as well as smaller engines. But currently it comes in V6 and V8 inheritted from current Commodores.
The design has BMW resemblance due to moved-forward front wheel base. It was designed in 1999 with big vision and added safety features. But I can see that the car is designed with passion (and from Wheel Magazine picture, the designer used Macs).
Overall, it looks like a car that can last. Although in Australia it will have challenge with exclusivity, with VE taxis will be running around the city, it is still a damn good car.

No comments: