Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I blew up my PC

Granted that I did not take care of my PC well. I just left it on forever. For several months I had noticed that once in a while my PC rebooted itself and it became a frequent instance later on. It could probably because of updates or my anti-virus or spyware protection doing their stuff. It could be because of something else, I don't know.
Last weekend I saw my PC box' power led was not on. I thought it was because it just shut down by itself again. But until I tried to switch it on for several times - with the maximum progress of getting the windows welcome screen - that I realised it was (probably) the end of my PC.
I was thinking that I need to find my backup plan for video calling. I only have cheapo PC webcam that is not designed to work with mac. After some googling, I installed macam - and my webcam worked in my mac mini. It wasn't the best solution - the picture quality was less than when it was on my PC - but that should do it temporarily. FYI, I am bidding for a couple of mac webcams on eBay at this very moment.
I also installed the latest Mercury Messenger which supports webcam, winks, and some MSN functions - yet it does not support audio, yet. So I am now using Mercury Messenger for video and Skype for audio. This solution works so far although not elegant.
I am now thinking of getting another mac - with the justification that I just lost a PC. I don't know whether I should wait - or fix my PC, or get it right away. I am not looking forward to fixing my PC at the moment. Maybe after I get the copy of Vista Beta 2, maybe I can think of play around a bit. But now, I did not even want to touch it.
Let's see what happen with the webcam bidding and whether it makes my life better - which I doubt.

No comments: