Saturday, August 05, 2006

Could Leopard be The Answer for My Dilemma?


Part of my Saturday morning (afternoon in Sydney time - but it's Saturday!) religious activity is browsing through internet to find something new on Mac. I always love these rumour sites because they have some free thinking on what Apple should deliver next. Some are ridiculously funny and far streched and some closer to reality. I would not put my bet on iPhone (or iChat Mobile) yet, although it may be in the pipeline. I still remember Motorola ROKR was introduced last year and I did not see it picked up. The selling point was only the ability to play AAC, yet the storage capacity is far less of a decent iPods. It is still not an iPod alternative and it was not meant to be. The concept of iPhone as communication tool - with iChat interface - may suit Apple better. However prospective buyers still need to budget the increasing cost of wireless internet -assuming will be 3G - usage to use iChat in their phones.
I am not going to talk about iPhone. I am most interested in Apple's direction with iChat. iChat is not the most popular protocol for instant messaging - and video call. It has potential as it delivers high quality video and video conference capability. But it has small user base, Mac users only - and for pre-intel era, who can afford iSight. As I mentioned in my previous post, I had invested a dedicated box running windows, just for video calls. Overkill? Maybe - especially with the fact that I am not a gamer. But it works and it helps my personal life. And the price is justifiable at the time comparing to buying iSight - and its limitation of people I can contact. My loved ones do not use Mac - they live in areas where windows is a standard platform. And with the box comes extra storage, too.
So, if my Mac can use cheaper webcam and do video calls with MSN, Yahoo, and Skype users I will be in heaven. I have been hoping for years - as long as I have been using windows at home. Before I live separated from my loved ones, I only use windows for work. I had Linux box as my media server and I interact with the digital world through my Macs. I did not have the need of video call as I can meet them in person. Now video call is a necessity. I interact digitally with the people I love.
I saw an article released very recently from O'Grady's PowerPage on what to be expected in Leopard, the next Mac OS. And I quickly glance through the iChat new offers.

iChat 4.0:

  • 7 way video conversations available.
  • A new window with gives iSight feedback and also letting you optimize your video stream how you want to.
  • Better Voice over IP integration.
  • Folders for contacts.
  • Different layout, quite hard to explain, but better.
  • MSN and Yahoo integration
  • Dedicated iChat widget

Below are my comments on new iChat (possible) enhancements:

7 way video conversations available

Big deal. Unless you are in a business conference in seven separate locations, this function has no big impact for me. It helps if the video call can use less bandwidth so you have better quality picture for slower internet connection.


A new window with gives iSight feedback and also letting you optimize your video stream how you want to.

Maybe good if you have iSight, or new intel-Macs


Better Voice over IP integration.

Hey, this may be good. But I don't use iChat for voice. Hey - I don't use iChat for anything now.


Folders for contacts.

Yeah, yeah. Cosmetics. Gotta see the look and feel.


Different layout, quite hard to explain, but better.

Another cosmetics. I'll do a raincheck later.


MSN and Yahoo integration

Now, this is interesting. Can they do video chat? If not, I'll stick with my ol'box.


Dedicated iChat widget

Uh-huh. Bet it'll drag my iMac G3.

In summary, I am not too impressed with what to offer by Leopard, especially in iChat department. I may get Leopard if it comes with my next Mac. Or I may not buy my next Mac until it comes with Leopard. But definitely I will not upgrade my current Tiger to Leopard. And sadly it seemed that I still have to use my windows box for video chat.

No comments: